When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren,
Women and Beauty

Thursday, February 25, 2010

My lil' hot tamale!

Yesterday Sophia and I went to a tamale making party. Every year, my DM gets together with her family in LA and all the ladies spend all day making tamales every year around the holidays. This year she had all the store managers over to her house in Sacramento for a tamale party. I was on maternity leave this holiday, so I am so glad I got to participate and didn't miss out on the one time a year we all get together and chit chat, drink and eat. I didn't have any sangria (which I was told was delicious) but Sophia and I made our first tamales. She was such a good baby! All the ladies loved her and as we made our tamales, she sat on Chiings lap and watched the process. She's at that stage now that she has to grab everything in sight and thrust it into her mouth. Therefore, I was worried it would hinder the process but it was so much fun (although it most likely took lots of will power for her not to dig her hands in the masa)! I must admit for a beginner's class, the ladies of District 10 beat all expectations. I took a bunch home and will be sharing them with Christopher and my other managers at work. Had them again for breakfast this morning as Sophia and I relax on the couch on my second day off.

Lots to do today. Gotta load up on hot tea as my throat begins to ache. Hopefully a cold isn't making it's way through. I would so badly love to stay under the blankets on the couch today, but the laundry won't fold itself and I made a commitment to work out at least 3 days a week, preferably four.

Dinner tonight with Chad and Kelly, so I'll have to Tivo the women's figure skating long program tonight. Looking forward to the performances, especially Canada's Joannie Rochette. Her short program brought me to tears, so much emotion from just losing her mother so suddenly. I can't even begin to fathom losing mine. The amount of courage it took to even decide to compete, much less to step her first foot on the ice, was tremendous. Even though I am a huge supporter of the USA team (for obvious reasons) I will be secretly rooting for Canada tonight!

The girls come up tomorrow night for Billy's 40th birthday bash Saturday which should be a great time. Christopher will be staying home this Saturday night and having Daddy/daughter time with Sophia for the first time alone while mommy can have some girl time with Darc, Ash, and Katie. The challenge will be to see if I still have it in me. Haven't been out on the town with my girlfriends since before Sophia was born. 14.5 months is a LONG "off season"....lol. It will feel good to get all dolled up, have fun with my ladies and see all the familiar faces I haven't seen in a while.

All in all, a busy next three days! Enjoy your weekend everyone!!!

1 comment: