When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren,
Women and Beauty

Monday, February 15, 2010

Five months of milestones

So...I type todays blog in the car (no not driving...as a passenger) on the way down to Napa. Tonight will be my first night away from my darling girl. She is in the trusting hands of my mama and while I know everything will be just fine, and she probably won't even miss me, I can't help but blink away the welling tears.

Christopher and I are joining our friends on a mini couples retreat of golf, spa treatments, and lots-o-vino in Napa. I couldn't commit to stay both nights and be away from her for more than 24 hours, so we are just staying for one. I look back on my days of Vegas weekends with my girls and part of me longs for those moments of careless freedom, but it only takes a quick look at my beautiful Sophia to turn it into nothing more than an afterthought. She has changed my life in more ways than even I can fathom and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I am SO looking forward to spa time with the girls and meeting up with the guys later for dinner and drinks. Should be fun and it is well deserved after a long 10 months of pregnancy and a very special five months with my daughter.

Yes, my little Sophia turned five months old yesterday. Ironic that the milestone landed on Valentine's Day because she is the strongest symbol of love that I have ever had the priviledge of having. My little love bug has had so many little milestones over the past 22 weeks. She can now completely hold her own bottle with her two hands and she genuinely laughs when I play peek a boo with her. She can see me from a distance and smile and she sat up for the first time on her own halfway without falling over to the side. My favorite one so far happened last week. When her Auntie Shan got her a Gloworm, she LOVED it. She would grab both of its "ears" and pull it close to her face as her eyes doubled in size and she would scream into it as she thrust an open mouth kiss onto it. Hard to imagine, but if you saw it you would just die! Well she now does that to me. While it sometimes hurts as she pulls my hair wispies instead of my ears, I absolutely adore it...Lily not so much. She has now discovered her ability to reach out and grab Lily. The first few times, Lily allowed it without a fuss but now Sophia grabs her at every opportunity and it is starting to wear on her. I can't help but laugh, but I do keep a close eye on the two of them for fear of Lily snapping at her.

So as I look back on the past five months, I no longer become sad. Partly because I have highly documented it all with an endless supply of photos (300+ just on my iPhone) but mainly in part to all the amazing moments to come. Soon she will be sitting completely upright, crawling will come quickly there after and then the formation of her long awaited first word (selfishly crossing fingers in hopes that it is "mama")!

In the meantime, I will enjoy myself today (as will Christopher...our first real getaway together) and soak it all up. As soon as the sun rises tomorrow though, I will be driving back to reality and rushing into the house to squeeze my baby girl and kiss her face repeatedly.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday today!

Much love,
Aubrey


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone



No comments:

Post a Comment