When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. ~Sophia Loren,
Women and Beauty

Monday, January 11, 2010

The dreaded flu....ughhhh

The flu. It was bound to come eventually. I can't even remember the last time I was sick. However, a week from today I go back to my full time career at BBW...yes REALITY. I was already nervous about the transition, so it makes perfect sense that my body has decided to shut down at this time. First time being sick with Sophia and it is amazing how a child changes your whole perspective of selfishness.

When I was a little girl, I looked forward to these days. My mom had an in home Montessori preschool so staying home was ideal. She would take care of me...bring me juice and homemade chicken noodle soup. I would get to watch tv and as I got older she would even let me watch her favorite soap All My Children. How I long for those days again as I sit on the couch typing this blog. Sophia (luckily) is sleeping next to me in her bouncer but once she wakes, the mom in me will be back at work caring to her every need.

I am almost positive the sickness is more likely a form of food poisoning. It started Friday night with nausea which turned into a night of endless bouts of vomiting, followed by a day of dehydration and exhaustion. Sunday things seemed to be better. I could finally replenish my fluids and hold down some food. However, today (minus the vomiting) things seem much worse. I woke to a feverish break, a congested nose and a very sore throat. I have managed to drink some hot black tea with honey and hopefully a few more of those will ease the throat pain.

So, selfishness aside, my biggest concern is for Sophia. It's bad enough that I am ill, but if she were to get sick, I think life as I know it would fall to pieces. Luckily, there are WONDERFUL things that come from breastfeeding. I swear the milk my body produces is truly "miracle milk." It contains antibodies that fights diseases my body comes in contact with and it is custom made to fight diseases that my baby is exposed to. I was even blown away a while back when I learned you can put some in an eye dropper to treat conjunctivitis, an common eye infection that Sophia had at 1.5 months of age. So...THANK YOU God for the funny way in which you work your magic

In the end, it's days like these that make you really appreciate your health. I will never again take it for granted because as a parent, you thrive on it.

I must cut this short now because Sophia is just waking, but I wish each and everyone of you a very healthy week ahead.

Much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment